If you are in a hurry and just want to find out what the best Bible for Beginners is then I’d recommend NLT Life Application Study Bible, Third Edition as the best one.
Accepting Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Savior is the best decision you will ever make. Blessed are we if we get to know and enjoy Him in this lifetime. The biggest blessing is you get to experience the greatest love that no one can surpass.
To live a life with God at the center of your family is the best life. As Jesus said in John 17:3, “This is eternal life, that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent”. Eternal life requires entering into a personal relationship with God in Jesus Christ.
You can achieve that relationship and newfound faith by reading the Bible. Choosing the best Bible for beginners can be a daunting task. They are sometimes bombarded with varieties of Bibles on the market. Should they opt to buy study Bibles? An Audio Bible? Or is it better to buy a life application study Bible? But before knowing what Bible for beginners is best, let us know the importance of reading a Bible.
Here are the Best Bible for Beginners we’ll be reviewing:
- NLT Life Application Study Bible, Third Edition, 2019
- NLT Life Application Study Bible, Second Edition, Large Print
- New Believer’s Bible: First Steps for New Christians (New Living Translation)
- ESV Study Bible, Hardcover
- NKJV, Value Thinline Bible
The Importance of Reading the Bible
As a new believer, studying the Bible plays an important role in your transformation. Our view of God impacts our lives. Who God is in your mind is the most important thing about you. There is tremendous power available in reading God’s Word. It affects how we make decisions and how we respond to problems.
Reading the Bible daily even if it’s just a few verses creates a good and healthy habit. Let the Bible “inform” and “form” your lives and understand the world. Here are some benefits if you start to read the Bible:
In each section of the Bible, we see God’s character and God’s revelation of Himself to His people. The Bible shows us God’s holy, faithful, gracious, loving, and unchanging character. The Bible is our essential source to know the answers to our questions about Him.
Knowing about God and personally knowing God has a huge difference. Everyone knows about God, but only a fraction have a personal relationship with Him.
Knowing God’s Will
The Bible reveals how God wants us to live our lives. From the Scriptures, we become aware of what pleases Him and what does not. Knowing His Will, you can find direction and purpose for your life. When we read the Bible, it helps us renew our minds and helps us discover our next steps.
Knowing God’s Word
Reading the scriptures allows us to fully enjoy the wisdom God gives. God’s Word is our final authority because it allows us to be certain with His words. Studying the Bible reorients our thinking so we can grow in maturity with God. Knowing God’s Word does not only impact ourselves but also the people around us. It helps us to be fruitful and it keeps us away from sin.
The Best Way to Start Reading the Bible
The Bible can seem like a big and overwhelming book. It can be intimidating for a new Christian on where and how to read the Bible. Is it like a regular book that you read from front to back? Or do you need to read it in chronological order? These are some hesitations new Christians have when they ask how to read a Bible.
Reading the scriptures to know God is a spiritual discipline. First, pray and ask God to give you the desire for His Word. Once you start hearing God’s encouragement, you will not want to put your Bible down.
The Gospel of John in the New Testament is the best place to start reading. John is one of the 12 disciples who witnessed firsthand the ministry of Jesus. Throughout the Gospel of John, we see who Jesus is and what His ministry is all about. John emphasized the love of God through Jesus Christ. When you already know and understand what Jesus did, all the other books will make more sense.
Popular English Translations of the Bible
The origin of the Bible was written in Hebrew and Greek. For a new believer, you would want the best translation there is. There are a lot of different translations sold in the market for beginners. As a new believer, you would want to know which bible translation is best. The most popular English translations are:
- King James Version (KJV) or the New King James Version – The KJV is considered the forebearer of all translations. These Bible translations remain the most popular because many of the study Bible verses originated from KJV.
- New International Version (NIV) – The NIV is a balance of word-for-word and thought-for-thought translation. It is the perfect balance between accuracy and readability. Readers considered the NIV as a highly accurate and smooth-reading version in modern English.
- New Living Translation (NLT) – The New Living Translation is introduced as the living Bible. Bible NLT books are paraphrases best designed for easy understanding. The goal was to be more readable and more accessible to a wider audience.
- English Standard Version (ESV) – The ESV is a revision and relatively new Bible translation. It is written in very modern English but very close to NASB. The ESV combines word-for-word precision and accuracy with literary excellence and readability. Though modern, readers still find that it reminds them of KJV or NASB.
- New American Standard Bible (NASB) – The NASB is regarded as the most accurate because of its word for word translation. Due to its strict adherence to literalism, the NASB is not easy to read. But there are quite a few who prefer accuracy so the NASB has a strong following.
Choosing which Bible version is best depends on your preference. Bible translations should be a balance of being true to the original and naturally interpreted. There are too many options and too many questions. Let me help you with my top picks of the Best Bibles for Beginners.
Tyndale has come a long way from the first release of the Life Application Study Bible back in 1988. After 30 years of helping the Bible make sense to the modern reader, Tyndale released the Third Edition of the NLT Life Application Study Bible.
The NLT Life Application Study Bible now has even more insights as we understand God’s Word. The Christian Worker’s Resource feature enhanced the reader’s ministry effectiveness. An added feature includes a fresh two-color interior design for visual clarity.
Dive into the teachings of the Bible with updated study notes and verse-by-verse commentary. Study the stories using in-text maps, diagrams, and charts. Gain wisdom through overviews, outlines, timelines, and vital statistics. This book answers questions and gives practical ways to how we should live our lives.
- Updated and enhanced with new content added
- With 10,000 Life Application notes and features
- With over 500 maps and charts for quick reference
- Durable Smyth-sewn binding that lays flat when opened
- With extensive side column cross-reference system
- The print is small especially for elderly people
- No significant difference from the first version
The Life Application Study Bible is the best selling study Bible today. Readers get to enjoy the expanded and updated study notes and features of this edition. The application notes help believers understand God’s Word. It shows what God is teaching and how to apply it to everyday life.
The explanatory text aid the readers to understand the culture, history, and context of the passages. The Book Introductions are divided into several easy-to-find parts. Another unique feature of this study Bible is the Personality Profiles of many people. The profiles of these people are found in the Bible books where their stories occur. It includes their great accomplishments, mistakes, and key lessons from their lives.
- An easy-to-read large print edition
- Over 100 Personality Profiles of key Bible people
- Harmony of the Gospels to help understand the interplay between the books
- A thorough and comprehensive Bible atlas built right into each Bible book
- A carefully organized cross-reference system in the margins of the Bible
- The paper used is thin
- The book is a bit heavy and bulky
The New Believer’s Bible is intended to help new Christians grow in their newfound faith. It is also an ideal book for mature Christians who want to deepen their faith. Featuring articles written by the influential and respected evangelist Greg Laurie.
The notes are compiled to lead you on a path into God’s Word. It encourages you to grow and plant biblical roots as God intends you to be. The “First Steps” notes help you discover His purpose for you. The “Cornerstone” provides the basics of Christian belief. The “Off and Running” notes show how to enjoy God’s blessings. The “Big Questions” notes often tackle the difficult questions asked by new believers.
A perfect gift to new Christians looking for a devotional Bible. They get to experience peace, joy, and security as they mature in their faith.
- Four feature notes cover the different aspects as you grow in faith
- Special charts that highlight key biblical information
- Effective steps in memorizing key verses
- Includes two simple reading plans on how to study the Bible
- Glossary of Christian terms that are easy to understand
- The text is transliterated and not correctly translated.
- Very thin pages and small print
The ESV Study Bible had eight editions when it was first launched. But I can personally say that it looks great in any edition. It became an instant favorite with over 1 million copies sold. It was also the winner of the ECPA Book of the Year Award. This study Bible is created by believers for beginners. The vision of the ESV Study Bible is to help people come to a better understanding of the Bible.
The ESV Study Bibles was created by a diverse team of leading Bible scholars and teachers. The book is designed to aid the readers in understanding the scriptures more deeply. The wide array of study tools makes it a valuable resource for serious readers of the Word of God.
- It is durable with its Smyth-sewn binding
- Printed on high-quality French-Bible paper
- Lifetime guarantee packaging
- Offers full-color maps and illustrations
- Extensive introduction at the beginning of each book
- The paper is thin and light
- The pages display a bit of bleed-through
If you are looking for a convenient and portable Thinline Bible, look no further. The NKJV Value Thinline Bible is the go-anywhere book for you!
The custom NKJV font in large print enhances readability. Measuring about an inch thick, the Value Thinline Bible is lightweight and portable. It is available in two print sizes. You can choose from Easy-to-Read Standard 9-pt and Large print 10.5-pt. Invite your eyes with Thomas Nelson’s signature NKJV Comfort Print font.
- Full-color maps
- Easy to read prints
- Double ribbon markers
- Helpful reading plan
- Words of Jesus Christ in red
- The pages are thin, can easily rip
- Chapters and pages are missing
- Gilded page edges easily wear off
There you have it. While there are hundreds of great Bibles out there, there are some exceptional options for the best Bible for beginners.
Without hesitation, I can say that the best Bible for beginners is the NLT Life Application Study Bible. For me, it is the best way to break into Bible reading as a new Christian. I cannot recommend a better Bible than the Life Application Study Bibles. You can find practical tips on Christian living that you can apply to the world today with ease. The expanded and updated content in the Third Edition helps as you understand God’s Word. The study notes are delivered in a way that makes you feel as if you are just talking to a pastor.
This time of transition is exciting, so I say go and get a study Bible for your newfound faith. What is important is that you take scripture reading seriously. Find a way to consistently learn wisdom from God’s word.